Saturday, March 5, 2011

Polar Fleece For Cold Weathered States

If your a Minnesotan, you probably have a no-sew polar fleece blanket.  They have been a rage for several years now.  It stays cold here for so many months that unless your rich, you have to keep the house temperature just at tolerable.  67 degrees is on the warmer side that we keep it at for the benefit of our girls.  When it was just my husband and I, we kept it down a few more degrees.  Layer, layer, layer!  Ever notch up or down makes a world of difference.  My girls were born in February.  Right in the middle of cold weather.  I made ahead of their birth these two polar fleece blankets from the top of my head.  I discovered after the girls arrived several mistakes I made. The first mistake was I made them to fit the crib, which was fine when flat, but once a body got under there, it was too small.  Second, I made it double layered and it was too warm.  If there is such a thing, but my Jamie was found to be sweating underneath it. So I put them away and just recently brought them back out.  I was surprised to find the girls love them at 3 years old.  They recognized their names and thought that was just swell.  They don't care if it is too small.  I guess they appreciate the sentimentality of it.  So, if something you make is not at once a success, wait a few years, it might have a new life.  Third mistake is the how I sewed on the satin binding.  You can tell on the purple one, which I did first is rough looking - oops.  Jamie's binding turned out much better.


I found a font I liked and blew up each letter to about 70 and printed it out for my template.  Since the letters were so skinny and swirly I was wondering how I was going to quilt around them with pins and a walking foot.  Then I discovered Jeans Mender.  A fabric glue that held my letters in place so I didn't have to be bothered by all those pins around tight corners and such.  Now a days I have heard of some great spray adhesives.  This works great too and I put it on with a toothpick.




Thanks for dropping by.  I hope you have fun sewing!

No comments: